Saturday, March 20, 2010

The doctor is in...

I have seen so many doctors recently, two just this week. I was having some serious neck and shoulder pain at the beginning of the week and ended the week with a respiratory infection. Hopefully I will be able to get over everything before my first round of physical therapy next week.

One of my biggest concerns has been work because I have left the office early twice in the last two weeks and called in this morning. I have two big issues that I need to figure out. The first is that sitting at a desk for eight hours a day takes a major toll on my back. Once I start noticing pain in my shoulders, I tense up even more, which causes more pain. I added a step under my desk so that I cannot cross my legs because that throws your back out of alignment. I also found a lumbar support to help with my posture. Lastly I will have to get up and stretch at least every hour, which is the hardest part for me. I can go hours without moving out of my chair even when my back is bothering me. Hopefully the timer going off every hour will not bother the rest of the office.

The second issue is that I just do not have the energy to get through five days of work. I do not have the option of not working full time, but I do work for some very understanding people. Although I was very hesitant about bringing it up at first, I asked to speak to my boss about work. I brought up the idea of changing one of my days off. Instead of having Sunday and Monday off of work, I will have Sunday and Thursday off. That way I will work three days, have a day off, work two days, and then have a day off. It will allow me to really rest in between work days. Hopefully it is only temporary and when my energy comes back I will return to my old schedule.

I keep saying one small step at a time, but I think the change at work is a pretty big step to improving my life at this moment.

No comments: