Saturday, April 4, 2009

When did this happen to me?

I have always been a shopper, especially when it came to clothes. Of course I never really needed anything, but I was always buying things. College was the worst though. I could find a million reasons to go to the mall during those five years. I was bored, I would shop. I was sad, I would shop. I was happy, I would shop.

I remember packing for my move to Los Angeles. I was only allowed to bring two suitcases on the plane, so I could only bring the essentials and maybe have a few things shipped to me later. Every other item in my closet still had a tag on it. I finally decided which items to bring, which was several pairs of slacks and nice blouses. After three weeks in California where do I get a job? A hardware store! Dress slacks and delicate blouses were not the proper attire. Even working in the office I only need jeans and casual shirts. Eventually every single piece of clothing I brought with me went to Goodwill and my mom donated everything I left in Illinois. The sad part of that story is that I am still paying for all those clothes I bought in college.

Anyway, I do not shop as much as I used to and when I do it is for completely different items. I remember the first time I noticed a change in my behavior. I think I had been married for about two years and my parents gave us a gift certificate for Pier 1. I was beyond excited to purchase a set of ceramic mixing bowls. Mixing bowls!

Now days I get excited over power tools and kitchen gadgets. It is still hard for me to believe. I used to drool over the newest coat in Express and now I jump up and down over the new pink leather tool belt I found.

I still buy the clothes, but they are usually from Old Navy and half of the time they are on clearance. My only other weakness is bags, which I have a very large collection of. Rommel has his jerseys, I have my bags.

No comments: