Thursday, March 3, 2011

Holga, Holga, Holga

I finally received my new Holga camera in the mail today and I am just dying to try it out! I am particularly excited to try out the features that let you expose the film for longer time periods and expose a frame several times. There are also four color lenses for the flash, which I have no idea what to do with yet.


The camera is completely made of plastic, even the lens, which is why it is considered a toy camera. As far as I am concerned, it just adds to the charm. Although I am a little worried about breaking it since I can be rather klutzy at times. But it is not like it costs hundreds of dollars like other cameras. Plus any cracks in the plastic can be taped up and light exposure on the film supposedly adds to the originality of the photos.


I spent the day running around town looking for the 120mm film the camera uses. But guess what? It's not so easy to find film anymore let alone high quality film. Only specialty camera shops carry 120mm (probably should have checked that out earlier). I finally just ordered some online because it is so much cheaper.

But I am so impatient and I want to try it out as soon as possible. After reading the lomography book that came along with it, I found out the you can adapt the camera to use 35mm film by taping the film to the spool and stabilizing it with a couple pieces of foam. I will definitely have to try it this weekend when we visit the Getty!

No comments: