Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Day at the Getty Center

One of my goals for 2011 was at least once a month to do something I would not normally do / go places I would not normally go because of my anxiety. We already went to Disneyland this month, but I want to keep my confidence level high so we headed to the Getty Center today.

It was absolutely amazing! Between the tram up to the museum, all the buildings, the gardens, and the outside sculptures, the place is so huge that it would be impossible to get a good look at everything. The nice thing is that you only have to pay the $15 for parking and admission is free, so we could potentially go several times without putting too much of a dent in our wallet. Although I was definitely tempted to spend the money on a Van Gogh doll with detachable ear.

The were so many great parts of the Getty. One of the current exhibits is on early photography in China, which we could have spent hours looking at. I am always interested in learning about people's lives and this exhibit was definitely an aspect we would never have found out about otherwise. There was also the exhibit of Medieval manuscripts. It is unbelievable to me to see something so fragile that has survived hundreds of years.

My favorite piece was probably Van Gogh's Irises. It is so vibrant and stunning when it is right in front of you. No book or poster could ever do this painting justice.

The central garden was also fabulous and it was wonderful that they had so many places to just sit and hang out. People were playing with their kids on the lawn and enjoying the view of the city. There are several cafe carts, so you can buy lunch and just relax outside.

We only spent about two hours walking around before I felt like I needed to leave because my pain was getting bad, which was actually good timing since Rommel can get bored rather quickly and we were getting hungry. We picked up lunch and then relaxed for the rest of the day.

I took several pictures while we were there with both my digital camera and the new Holga I just bought. Hopefully the Holga pictures turn out well and I can share them with you later, but for now here are a few of the digital ones.


















We will have to go back in April or May when the gardens are completely in bloom. I am sure it will be breathtaking!

As I mentioned, I have been in quite a bit of pain lately. I made the mistake of wearing cute ballet flats yesterday at work and after a short walk with Rommel my feet were in serious pain, along with my hips and hands. I did not get much sleep last night because it feels like my feet are constantly cramping up, like they are bound or something.

After experiencing that short "remission" I had a couple of weeks ago, I am definitely eager to get back to that point. I am enjoying all the wonderful experiences, such as the Getty, but they will be that much better without the pain.

No comments: