Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh Massage Therapist, How I Have Missed You

It was almost eighteen months ago that I saw my massage therapist for the first time. I had considered seeing one before that, but I could not justify the cost. The thought of spending $50 to $100 for someone to rub my back for an hour horrified me. But I was going through a rough patch with my anxiety and my body was so tense that my shoulders and neck were in serious pain, so Rommel and I decided I should give it a try.


I thought I was going to cry after that first session. I had never been that relaxed in my life; I didn’t even know it was possible to be that relaxed.


We figured out how to fit it into our budget and I began to see her ever two weeks. I was still tense most of the time, but it was easier for me to relax when I was at home and the pain was no where near as bad. Having that hour where I was almost forced to clear my mind was a good thing too. It has also helped with my anxiety. Because it is easier for me to relax, I can calm myself down faster when I start to have a panic attack.


The massages also made me realize how important it was to take time for myself and to take care of myself. I was not coming home after work with debilitating shoulder pain that kept me from doing anything all evening. I might be tense when I come home now, but I could sit down for a moment, relax my muscles, and enjoy the evening with my husband.


I have spaced appointments out a little bit more lately to save money, but my massage therapist has also been out of town. It has been almost six weeks since I have had a massage and I cannot wait until next week. I was fine the first four weeks, but then I started to develop some pain. Today has been the worst. I just want to go home and lie in a hot bath for the rest of the evening.


So I must admit that I love my massage therapist and I hope I never lose her.

No comments: