Saturday, October 17, 2009

First day of vacation - Awesome!

We arrived in Oceanside yesterday afternoon and met up with my parents, my sister, and my sister's boyfriend. After a late dinner, everyone fell asleep pretty early, which meant we all woke up early this morning.

I got out of bed to use the restroom and found my parents and sister hanging out in the living room. I sat down with them and before we knew it almost an hour had passed. It was just so nice to sit around and talk about miscellaneous stuff like how our pets try to sneak food while we eat. We did not talk about anything serious or important, but it is a morning I would not give up for anything.

Rommel and I agreed to take a walk on the beach with my parents later in the morning. I had serious doubts that I would be able to walk as quickly as them let alone as far because my mom is a master power walker who walks at least four miles a day, but it doesn't hurt to try. Or so I thought.

We were not able to head out to the beach right away because the tide was hitting the breakers along the shore. We headed out on the first street from the beach and I was able to make it to the coffee shop, which was my parents' goal. They got some coffee and pastries before taking a seat on the pier for a short rest. Then we had to head back home, which is when my glutes started to ache. A few more blocks and my thighs started to burn. I kept shouting in my head "work through the pain, work through the pain!!!!" That ugly wooden fish on our beach rental was an absolutely wonderful site.

After a long bath to sooth my throbbing muscles and a short nap, we all headed out to the beach. Josh and Rachel braved the cold water to go boogie boarding while my mom and I played Frisbee. Even though neither of us can throw or catch a Frisbee, we had quite a bit of fun and entertained everyone else.


We were lucky enough to be able to celebrate Josh's birthday with him this year, so we wanted to make it really special. Dad barbecued dinner and Rommel and I bought an Oreo blizzard cake from Dairy Queen. We all sat down for a great dinner and watched Josh open his presents. He is a man of few words, but I think he really enjoyed it.


It's hard to believe this was all just the first day, but I am glad we are able to enjoy every moment together. It will go too fast; it always does.

No comments: