Monday, August 16, 2010

Grace in the Small Things - Day 1

It's funny how things come together sometimes. A couple of weeks ago I was feeling pretty depressed since it was the sixth month anniversary of being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I knew that I needed an attitude adjustment and decided on three rules to start changing things around. The first rule was to write down at least three things that I am grateful for or brighten my life every day. Next thing I know I discovered a blog and the author kept listing her graces (I so want to give her credit, but the blog is bookmarked on my work computer, not on my home one). I was curious, so I dug a little deeper and found Grace in the Small Things. Everything just fit!

So here are my five things -
  • Leaving work for lunch with a good friend. It is so nice to just walk away for an hour and talk about other things, no matter how irrelevant they are.
  • Hearing the dogs run to the front door to greet me. They are so excited that I have to smile and spend more than a few minutes telling them about my day.
  • Not having to cook dinner! My mother-in-law had a bunch of leftovers from an event the day before and my husband was all over it.
  • Reading a good book outside in the shade while watering the trees.
  • Being able to have the kitten in the same room with Simba, our larger dog, for at least a few minutes before he wanted to have her for dinner.
Update - The blog where I discovered Grace in the Small Things is called Tales of Rachel. And I also forgot to mention that this is a challenge to list 5 things everyday for 365 days. Only 364 to go!

1 comment:

L."Wren" Vandever said...

I think that looking for and actively appreciating daily blessings (I call them "gifts") is one of the most healthy and positive things anyone can do, but especially those of us who cope with RA pain and disability every day. It's fantastic that you're taking on this challenge; it's fun, isn't it? Even on the worst days, the world offers us gifts, small things that help to put the world into perspective.

I've been a bit low, lately. Thank you for reminding me how important, and joyful it is to look for the gifts waiting to be found each day.
-Wren
(RheumaBlog)